LET LOVE BE SINCERE

LET LOVE BE SINCERE

Monday, September 19, 2011

The advantages and disadvantages of being a CYM's kid

So- I am a 'part-time' stay at home mom.  That is what we like to call me.  This Fall, I will be working 30 hours a week.  2 full days and then youth events.  I have always said and will continue to say that Youth Ministry is probably one of the best jobs you can have if you are planning on having a family.  However, as we begin this life together (the son, the husband and I), I was a bit surprised at how difficult working/raising a child is.  So, I decided to dedicate this post to the advantages and disadvantages of being a CYM's baby.

Advantage
Flexibility-  I can create my own schedule if something comes up.  I will always be able to take time off if my kid is sick, I can't find a sitter, I think we need a life-recovery day...etc...I do not know of any other job (Save for working for yourself) where you can do that.  How awesome is it that I can cater our lifestyle around my job.

Advantage
Love-  There are so many people that love my child.  From teens, to parents, to parishioners.  Everyone is always excited to hold him and love on him.  The other day, I walked into the youth room and there was a group of girls surrounding Lil' Aaron cooing over him.  He was in the center, just smiling away.  I thought to myself, 'his life is good'.  Growing up, having a community of people that love you, is going to be AMAZING for my child.

Advantage
He will get to do and see things that most kids won't.  He will be carted around to overnights, service events, fun and play.  His experience of Church will be a positive one, and I am certain he will look forward to heading to Church and the Big Purple Couch.

Advantage
I get to see the beauty of having a team mate as a husband.  This weekend was rough with a lock in after a long week.  On Sunday, Aaron made dinner, cleaned up after dinner, gave me a back rub and let me sleep in a bit while he took over at night.  Having someone love and take care of our family is awesome.  Also, because of times I am away, Aaron gets to develop a really unique and special bond with our son.

Hopefully, these things will help him to fall in love with Christ in a deep way...BUT, there are disadvantages

Disadvantage
Lack of a schedule.  It is VERY rare for my child to sleep in his own bed.  It is also very rare for him to get uninterrupted sleep.  At his young age, he has already spent the night on youth room floors, on grandparent's beds, in hotel lobbies, etc...it is weird.  And probably not okay.

Disadvantage
Sometimes, I will have to leave him.  Sometimes, it will be for a very long time.  I traveled to Spain when my child was 3 months old...left him for 16 days.  I will def. have to do this once every two to three years.  In between that time, I will leave for retreats, conferences, etc...I know some moms who's babies are 2 or 3 years old and have never been left anywhere over night.  My son's norm will be staying back while mommy goes places.

Disadvantage/Advantage
Constant stimulation has kind of made my son a freak o' nature.  He is a kid that can't sleep when it is quiet.  He doesn't understand silence.  If people aren't talking all around him, he gets weird.  The other day I had him on his play mate, while I ate lunch with friends.  He freaked out, I think because he couldn't understand not being invited to the fun:)

Overall I think the advantage of being a CYM (Coordinator of Youth Ministry)'s son is WAY more advantageous than anything else (with the exception of me being a stay at home mom).  I think he is going to crazy benefit from the LOVE he is raised with and this makes me happy.  Despite the bizarre lifestyle we have:)

Some of my Rock Star Teens and our youth room, where Aaron will spend MUCH of his time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment