LET LOVE BE SINCERE

LET LOVE BE SINCERE

Thursday, September 21, 2017

7 Quick Takes Thursday Night/Early Friday edition


I'm linking up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum   to give you this week's quick takes.  Are you ready?

(one)
AH!
I am writing these on Thursday, because I have an all day retreat Friday.
I feel like a kid the first day before school.
After taking off a solid 4 months, it's back to Speaking Ministry I go.
Say some prayers for...
...the 7th and 8th graders of The Academy of the Sacred Heart.
...the Confirmation Candidates from the National Shrine of the Little Flower Basillica.
...and high school students at St. Thomas More.

It should be a good weekend!

(two)
So, I said this on insta-stories... but in case you haven't heard, we don't do intentional tummy time.
WHAT!?!?!?!
I know.
But basically my parenting style is to not include anything that has become really popular in the last 30 years (the results of recent parenting haven't been that great imo).
For better or worse, that's our style.
We had our well checks this week and my pediatrician was all like
"Wow, her head strength is amazing, good job mom on the tummy time"
....
So there's that.

(three)
I sent my kindergartner and first grader to school twice this week without brushing their teeth.
And I forgot my kindergartner's 'quiet bag' on Monday.
And I forgot to return a book for my first grader this week.

So I guess you can say I am rocking at lyfe this week.

p.s. I just realized 'keepin' it real' on the ol' blog could be a challenge now that I have friends from my kid's school who might read this blog.  So basically, try not to judge :)

(four)
We are booking plane tickets for our Disney trip in December in a couple of weeks.
I am SO excited for that trip.
But I am also very nervous one or more of our kids will end up being sick for it.  You know how December is with illness in big families right?
So let's all start praying everyone is healthy.
Because man, six nights at such a magical place with our only job being to love each other is going to be ah-mazing.

(five)
Speaking of travel.
Malia is crazy into Moana lately. Which means the whole family is, because we have one tv and I love screen time.
Confession.
I never really 'watch' kid movies of my kids.  When they are on, I sit in the room and do something else (read, phone, computer, etc...).
But, I decided to pay attention to the song. You know the song, "How Far I'll Go"
...
It really touched a deep part of my soul, as cheesy as that sounds.
I am a traveler by nature, I have a terrible case of Wanderlust, and I have from a very young age.
That deep feeling in my soul that I NEED to explore the world has always been in my heart.
I responded to it first by attending WYD in Paris, and since then, it hasn't gone away.
It's led me to a dozen and a half countries...
five continents...
on so many adventures, I could make this blog JUST about that.

So, when I was listening to the song, it made me a little sad.
I remember right after I had little Aaron, one night, feeling a deep sense of panic realizing it would probably be years, perhaps decades, before I ever traveled internationally again.
After listening to Moana sing this song... I started thinking about it again.

BUT

I thought about why I love travel.
And it's about the experiences of new things, the adventure, the unpredictability of it all- I just SOAK it all up.
 I realized my life now is experience of new things, an adventure and completely unpredictable.
So I'm gonna go ahead and remember that next time I feel that old tug in my soul to travel to far off places...

(six)
I'm gonna put this right here. It's a blog called,
I didn't post it on my facebook wall because it's a tough thing to talk about, it's a tough thing to discuss and because 99.9% of people I know use contraception, so it can come off as a little judgy.

But it's not meant to be.

I thought it was a good article and made some really great points, maybe consider if God might be pulling on your heart a bit to read it? It's definitely written for a Catholic audience, as the Catholic understanding of sexuality is so drastically different than every other faith tradition...I love it though (obvi)

Aaron and I use Natural Family Planning.  It hasn't always been easy, and it took awhile to get the hang of it, but I have been reflecting a LOT lately on what a gift it is to our marriage.  I've been reflecting on how God is so good and His plan is so good.  Within my faith tradition, there is a built in system of understanding sexuality that helps us to avoid the temptation to use each other.  I like it. 
/

(seven)
To end this week, I leave you with my juju grace.
Gosh I don't mind her one bit.







The reading doesn't have to stop here, head on over to http://thisaintthelyceum.org/ to read more quick takes!

6 comments:

  1. I love the article on NFP and the comments on the profound impact it has on your relationships. Strangely enough, stopping birth control after 10 years and exploring NFP during my single-and-not-really-practicing years had a key role in my "coming back to Jesus" phase and it's kind of awesome how something like can be so powerful.

    It's been incredible in my premarital relationship with my fiance and I can't wait to see it in action in married life. To the 99% of your bc poppin friends, it's so worth it. Secular world or not! #realwomensempowerment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you be anti-bc "poppers" yet, be fine with premarital sex? If you were too holy for contraception, I hope you are not judging others for their choices when you are engaging in what would be considered a sin for having premarital intercourse?

      Delete
    2. Oh! You're fun anonymous. Discussing a premarital relationship does not include sex, believe it or not. I had a premarital relationship with my husband (duh) but we didn't have sex.

      I can't remember anyone saying they were too holy for sex or judging others for birth control. Sure seems like you're trying to work out some stuff, I hope you get it figured out.

      In other news... if I wanted to write everything wrong with discussion in 2017, you're comment would be it. Lol lol lol

      Delete
    3. Totally just saw all this! Nfp isn't meant to judge bc or bc users, it's merely an alternative. I was never too holy for anything, to be honest lol. I found out bc could mess with my fertility one day, and that scared me, so i stopped taking it. But i do appreciate the judgement on my reasoning ;)

      My initial point is that even if you are sexually active and not religious at all, nfp can be an incredible way to learn about and appreciate your body, even beyond its function as a baby-prevention tool. I learned how stress and sleep affect my body and so much more, just from observing my cycle. Don't gotta be a bc hater to appreciate things like that! Eventually, learning so much led me to a religious experience, which I think is pretty neat... but It didnt start that way :) I like to think I don't hold one sin in a different light than another, but I suppose that's for you to point out for me, which I invite. Please let me know which part of my post appeared judgemental!

      Nowadays, I do appreciate the phase of nfp where one does not need to be having sex to practice. It's first a relationship with your own body, and now I get to share all the info with my fiance. And after we get married, it will be even better :)

      Delete
  2. This was awesome Mary! I love Moana! I love her need to do what is right, her fear when she faces just how horrifying it is, her refusal and then sense of obligation. Love it! But dang, Becket has "Your Welcome on a loop��

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I heard little bits and pieces about the "need" to do tummy time when I was getting ready to give birth to my lil' guy, and I think we did "tummy time" a few times. But honestly, he HATED it, so we were like, "what's the point?" And his pediatrician commented on his great head control too, so I don't think tummy time is necessary. I love talking to my old lady friends at church and in our neighborhood, because I figure if they successfully raised their kids without stressing about "latest studies on xy and z," then they probably have pretty sound advice ;)

    ReplyDelete