LET LOVE BE SINCERE

LET LOVE BE SINCERE

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The cold hard truth; people don't care

And, people won’t care. We won't.

That’s the bottom line. 

Do you remember Kermit Gosnell?  Will he be notoriously remembered in history as a serial killer, a man who kept parts of babies in jars as a type of trophy?  Nope.  He is far off the radar of popular culture. Some may vaguely remember hearing his name, but remembering his crimes, like we do, say, with someone like Jeffrey Dahmer?  Nope.  Why?  

Because people don’t care.

I wrote this blog a few years ago, reflecting on the horrors of Kermit Gosnell.  In it, I explained a conversation I had with my husband, Aaron…

Tonight, so upset, I asked my husband, "Why don't people care?!?!".  He said, "They just don't".  I followed it up, "But honey, this would be front page news if it was about puppies, the Michael Vick story was in headlines for months."

"I agree," he said, "But that was about dogs and puppies, people care about dogs and puppies."

"But dear, I like, actually need to have an answer, you need to tell me why people don't care?"

And what he said next is right.  What he said broke my heart.  "They don't care because the story is talking about abortion, and people in this country don't have a problem with abortion, so they won't pay attention to a story that has the word abortion in it."

I don’t know what to do with that friends.  I don’t know how to make sense of this world. I don’t know how to make sense of aworld where a director of Planned Parenthood talks without emotion and franklyabout snapping baby’s heads in the womb in such a way to keep the brain/bodyintact for sale.

Maybe Planned Parenthood sells organs of dead children in  this way for profit, or for medical advancement/awareness/research… perhaps we will never know, especially in this culture where truth-telling is not held to a high standard.  

Maybe they 'donate' the organs with consent, perhaps without; maybe vulnerable women are asked to ‘check a box’ to ensure their ‘terminated pregnancies’ (sounds better when put that way) can be used for some good?  

Regardless, I just don’t know what to do with the horror of it all.  And that’s one thing haunting me tonight.  But the greater thing?  The thing I can’t get over is…

People won’t care.

We won’t.

We won’t care because our hearts are hardened.  Or we've been conditioned to believe Planned Parenthood is a champion of women.  

We won’t care because the dignity of life, and a child’s inherent right to live (even with a tragic diagnosis), is no longer something we just ‘know’ but rather something that is subject to how we feel; or what our personal ethics are- a 'right' to life doesn't exist, because, after all, a human being growing inside a woman's body is only worthy of life if that woman chooses to believe it is. 

Or maybe we won’t care because it has to do with abortion. And people in this country don’t have a problem with abortion, so we won’t choose to be stunned by today’s newest discovery of Planned Parenthood’s atrocities.

But gosh that’s scary.

Because you see, I have always been fascinated with history.  To be honest, I have always been fascinated, in particular, with the points in history when humanity has possessed the inclination to do unbelievably, inexplicably evil things.  How did those things happen?  Where was the outcry?  Why didn't people, good people, stop these things from happening?

I think I have my answer.

People just didn’t care.


St. Michael the Archangel, 
defend us in battle. 
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. 
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, 
and do thou, 
O Prince of the heavenly hosts, 
by the power of God, 
thrust into hell Satan, 
and all the evil spirits, 
who prowl about the world 
seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment