LET LOVE BE SINCERE

LET LOVE BE SINCERE

Friday, January 20, 2017

I'm not gonna talk about that thing er'body else is talking about...(Quick Takes)

I'm linking up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum   to give you this week's quick takes.  Are you ready?

I'm not gonna talk about that thing er'body else is talking about.  Rather, I need your help, I'm hoping at least 9 people who read this blog can pray about helping...

In one month I will be taking 12 teens to a Catholic Youth Conference in the Archdiocese of Detroit.  It is called RAINBOW. I went when I was a teen, I went as an adult volunteer for a youth program and I also went as a Youth Minister for many many years.

(insert funny paul story on the anniversary of his death... One year he went with our youth group to chaperone.  There was a kid who was um, a little more than a little misbehaved.  The teens 'punishment' was he had to stay by Paul's side all weekend... I don't think he minded)


This conference has lots of advantages (I'll explain them in the Quick Takes), BUT it is costly for two days.  I have committed to *trying to match sponsors up with young people.  I am looking for 9 people who will donate $100 that will help to defray the cost of the conference for our young people.  It was a gamble trying to do it this way...

BUT, I know I have people who read the blog who are invested in the faith of young people... and I know I have people who read the blog who have the means to donate $100 to sponsor a young person to attend this conference, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Here's a little more information.

(one)
You should do this because you will know you are sending a young person to a conference where they will meet with other young people of faith.

Our culture is crazy hostile to teens who choose to live as Catholic Christians.
It's hard.

I often say in talks, one of the bravest things a teenager can do is live their faith in 2017.
This conference allows young people to have a moment where they are with people of shared faith, kind of a reprieve from the 'war' they generally fight.

(two)
\The Eucharist is there.
My group always spends time before the Blessed Sacrament each day in prayer.
We will pray for you and your intentions by name during that time.
Jesus likes the prayers of teenagers...like, a lot.

(three)
Things are expensive (as you know).
I remember when I was a teen how much I wanted to do, but being one of six kids it was crazy hard to afford ministry events.  Life changing events.
But the generosity of strangers often allowed it. I often accessed scholarships to attend things I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
Maybe you did to?  And maybe this is your moment to give back for someone who helped you along the road?

(four)
If you have the means to help out financially, that's awesome. 
I will give you the name of the teen you will be 'sponsoring'... you can pray for them.
You can maybe pray for them long after the conference.  It will be a spiritual bond with a young person who you may never meet, but who's life you can potentially change.

(five)
We will give the teen who you are sponsoring your name and address.
They will write you and tell you about their experience.
You will have a tangible way to know how your sponsorship helped a young person grow in faith. 

(six)
This conference has wonderful speakers/workshops, a Mass with the Archbishop, and plenty of time to bond with one another in an environment of faith.
It's a Catholic Party... and my gosh, who doesn't want to Catholic party?!?!?!

(seven)
If this is something you might be into, you can email me (marywilkersonym (at) gmail (dot) com) or you can message me on 'the facebook'.
I will give you the parish address and how to send a check that will sponsor a young person. I will ask for your address in return so the young person you are sponsoring can write you and tell you about their experience. 

Let's do this...
Take a moment, 
pray about it... could God be calling you to help these young people?!?!?!?!?

$100 to sponsor a young person to attend a Catholic Conference in Detroit for the weekend.

We will need a firm commitment (and preferably the donation) by February 11th... are you in?

If not, no worries.  But would you pray for us!?!?!?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!



The reading doesn't have to stop here, head on over to http://thisaintthelyceum.org/ to read more quick takes!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could donate. However, unemployment has hit our household. We actually had to turn down the opportunity for my teenage daughter to go to NCYC but could not afford the deposit. I am telling you this to commend you for taking this on and to offer lots of prayers for your fundraising success. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brenda, I will be praying for you. Unemployment is such a difficult thing. Aaron and I have lived it briefly and it was a scary time. It's so hard because these things are wonderful for young people, but they all come with such hefty price tags. I figured if several people are willing to help out.. it makes it so much more doable.

      Delete
  2. Mary that is awesome you can take a group...I cannot help with the cost, but I will be praying for a way to take these kids... <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I wish I could have gone to something like this when I was a teen... I'm in! I'll write you now...

    ReplyDelete