LET LOVE BE SINCERE

LET LOVE BE SINCERE

Friday, September 2, 2016

7 Quick Takes about pictures and books on race :)

I'm linking up with Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum   to give you this week's quick takes.  Are you ready?
(one)
Well, we survived week one of school.
whew. 
I know I was a bit dramatic about it on social media. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to apologize ;)
It's a big deal.
Thank God for great teachers.
Praise Jesus for friends who offer their assistance so you can avoid long pick up lines of chaos and show up after the fact with a calm kid.  
Oh, and thank you Lord God for really cute kids.
(I know, right?)

(two)
The thing about school though, is my Aarons and Joey have to be out the door by 7:30, which means wake up and get moving at 6:45 am.  My kids have always gotten up early, but that usually translates to lounging around until 8ish and then getting the ball rolling. Not crazy-flurry-of-activity by 7:00 am.  I am not used to this. I do not like this.  It makes for VERY long days and VERY tired kids (mama) by 7:00 pm. I am hoping we will get used to it.  And, as per usual, thank you JESUS for coffee.

(three)
I know I wrote about this on facebook/instagram, but you guys... LOOK at what my godson, Shawn made me.  
It's my favorite singer (Adam Duritz) with my favorite song lyrics (Anna Begins).  Can you even with that?
Just so you know he is crazy talented and taking requests.  Any artist/any song.  Or, get this... ANY SAINT WITH ANY QUOTE?  They are hand drawn. I think these are kind of priceless.  What a wonderful gift for yourself or others.  Email me if you would like one, he is attaching a fee, but for a piece of art like these.. um #worthit

(four)
Not to keep talking about this, but I'm going to keep talking about this.
He also is in the process of finishing up this drawing in anticipation of Blessed Mother Teresa's canonization.  He has to add words.  
Not the best lighting... but you get the idea
Now, can you imagine having one of these bad boys in your home to commemorate this modern saint?  AND, because he's AWESOME, he is donating 25% of proceeds to the Catholic Action Center in Lexington.  
Teenagers who are awesome give me hope.

(five)
I recently bought two books, both are age-appropriate stories about race. I have opinions on why I think racial tension has been flaring up the last couple years (I shall keep them to myself *cough, leadership *cough) but I thought it would be good to be proactive about it with my kids.

The first book is called, "These Hands" by Margaret H. Mason.  I partially read it at the library and bought it right then and there.  It's the story of a grandfather, telling his grandson named Joesph (grace) about his hands.  All the things his hands have done.  BUT, all the things his hands weren't allowed to do.  I was really moved by the first 10 or so pages, and I am just crossing my fingers it didn't take a turn after that.  I though it would be a good way to introduce racial history to my kids.  We tried the African American Museum last year in Detroit, but, um... let's just say the slave ship was a bit too intense for my little guys.  Maybe we will try again in a couple years.

The other book we bought is about the different shades we come in. It's called, "Happy In Our Skin", by Fran Manushkin. I don't lose sleep over it, but I am aware that God has crafted our family together in all different shades.  Each of my children has a different skin tone and I wonder how that's going to play out at school with their peers. Not to mention that Aaron and I don't 'match'.  Hoping the book anticipates some questions from peers at school or whatnot.
Look at me, being all racially proactive.  
Mixed families for the win...

(six)
We are going on a couple's date night tonight with our little group of friends.  A few weeks ago we were able to go to dinner with one of our favorite couples, and now this!  I'm pretty much feeling like a social butterfly.  We are hitting up a Spanish Tapas Bar (thanks Amy Wingate for the suggestion last year) in midtown, Detroit called La Feria. I am SO excited but a bit concerned because there will be seven of us, and it is a small place.  But it has the best sangria in the world, and delicious tapas, and it's a night with grown ups.  BRING.IT.

(seven)
Tomorrow is the day.
The day we wait all year for.
MICHIGAN FOOTBALL'S BACK! 
Remember when I told you all about WHY I LOVE MICHIGAN FOOTBALL
I seriously look forward to this day all year.  This year, we decided against buying season tickets.  It was a HUGE time commitment for our family last year, and between the games/babysitters/parking, etc... ended up being a bit more expensive than we anticipated.  Fear not though, the husband promised we will go to one game this year!  Oh, and social media friends, we are going to be looking for four tickets together because we are going to bring the older two boys. If you know of anyone looking to get rid of some... let me know!
In the meantime, football party tomorrow with the kids.... GO BLUE!

PS.
Should we start little Aaron in flag football?  It's through his school and I think it would be adorable.  Big Aaron says 'no', I say, 'yes'... 
Let's let you guys decide.




The reading doesn't have to stop here, head on over to http://thisaintthelyceum.org/ to read more quick takes!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of books on race, I am just starting "The New Jim Crow Law" wow so good and eye opening! Learning how my experience of life has been drastically different because of my skin color, really good read! Also "Just Mercy", very good but can be triggering at some parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it through the first week of school! I love mornings, but I would not be a fan of all that flurry so early in the morning. Coffee is such a beautiful gift from God indeed :) Wow, our Godson is so super talented!!!! Those look awesome.

    ReplyDelete